Our department adopts a systematic approach to teaching language skills with an emphasis on grammar and spoken English, using rich texts and a variety of language resources to help students achieve effective use of English.
- Extensive Reading Programme
- Meridian Speakers Programme
|Ms Lin I Ju Yvonne
|Head of Department
|Ms Norita Ali
|School Staff Developer
|Ms Rosalind Lee
|Lead Teacher for English Language
|Ms Moon Jia Yuan
|Subject Head for English Language
|Ms Evonne Tham
|Senior Teacher for English Language
|Ms Astri Nur Rissa Razak
|Mrs Dawn Santa Maria
|Mrs Yvonne Chng
|Ms Veronica Lee
|Mrs Sarala Thiyagarajan
|Mdm Nordiana Daim
|Mrs Vicki Choo
|Mr Cheong Kim Gin
|Mrs Dhanya Magadevan
|Mr Lee Chin Han
Extensive Reading Programme - #MeridianReads
At Meridian Secondary, we aim to awaken the inner reader in every Meridian. As the library is an oasis of knowledge and resources that opens up the imagination of our students, the English Language Department partnered the National Library Board in 2018 to revamp our school library.
Our teachers are reading models who promote extensive reading by giving Meridians the time, encouragement and books to read pleasurably, at their own level.
We have a wide range of activities to encourage reading in our students this year. On top of regular visits to the library during curriculum time, activities include ‘Redesign a Book Cover’, ‘Book Fairy Giveaway’, ‘Go on a Blind Date with a Book’, ‘Print to Reel’, ‘Book Recommendation for you’. Lower Secondary students can look forward to attaining the “Best Reader Award” by completing their reading logs as well.
To build a strong reading culture within our classrooms, we provided our Sec One classes with a classroom library each. They can customise their own classroom library and pick up the habit of reading through a good book selection.
Meridian Speakers Programme
The Meridian Speakers Programme aims to develop confident and eloquent speakers who are able to command the attention of their audience. Despite the reduction of face-to-face public speaking events, our Meridian Speakers have pivoted to speak online by hosting school outreach sessions as well as e-Open Houses. At the same time, our team have developed our very own podcast, The Meridian Show!
Check out the speakers in action:
At Meridian Secondary, our library is not just a place to check out books; it’s a hub of knowledge, creativity, and imagination. Our school library is a dynamic and vibrant space that fosters a love for learning and reading. Here’s what you can expect when you step into our library:
- A Welcoming Atmosphere: As you enter our library, you’ll be greeted by warm colours, comfortable seating, and natural light that creates an inviting and comfortable environment. Our friendly librarian is always ready to assist you.
- Extensive Collection: Our library boasts a diverse and extensive collection of books, from classic literature to the latest bestsellers.
- Reading Nooks: Cozy reading nooks with plush chairs, and soft cushions provide the perfect spot to dive into a good book, whether you’re studying, doing research, or simply enjoying a novel.
- Technology Integration: Our library embraces technology with a touch screen for you to browse the book titles at your own pace.
- Supportive Learning Environment: The library is a place for not just individual study but also collaborative learning. It’s a space where students can come together to share ideas, explore new horizons, and grow academically.
We believe that a library should be a space that encourages curiosity, fuels creativity, and supports the intellectual growth of our students. Our lively and vibrant school library is here to empower you on your educational journey. Come, explore, and let your imagination soar at our library!